Basil Oil

Basil Oil

Basil Oil – Clean & Delicious®

Sort of like a pesto, but not quite a pesto this is literally just olive oil, basil, lemon juice and salt.

Ground breaking?  No.

Seriously simple &  delicious?  Yes and yes.

The cool thing?  You don’t have to commit to basil and lemon juice.  Try this idea with cilantro and lime, or dill and lemon or a combination of a few different herbs.  This is one of those “whatever-you’ve-got-on-hand” kind of sauces.

What I really love about a simple sauce like this is that a little goes a long way.  All it takes is a teaspoon or two and you are good to go.

Here are five simple ways to use Basil Oil:

• Stir a couple of teaspoons into some pasta or rice and toss with a handful of fresh chopped tomatoes
  • Spread over a nice hearty slice of whole grain bread or toast
  • Add a dollop right on top of some fresh scrambled eggs
  • Make a pita pizza
  • Mix into some steamed veggies

And here’s where I hand the mic over to you guys.  I know that my ideas are just the tip of the iceberg… what kind of ideas do you have for using basil oil?  Curious minds want to know.

Basil Oil

• 1 bunch of fresh basil, leaves removed from the stem
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • ½ cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • Fat pinch of salt

Place the basil leaves in a food processor and pulse until the leaves are finely minced.

Run the processor and slowly drizzle in your oil until you have a nice rich, green oil.  Add in the lemon juice and salt.  Blend one more time.

Makes 24-1tsp servings.

Nutrients per teaspoon:  Calories: 40 Total Fat: 4.7g; Saturated Fat: 0.7g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 0mg; Carbohydrate: 0.8g; Dietary Fiber: 0.7g; Sugars: 0.7g; Protein: 0g

8 Responses to “Basil Oil”

FoodsThatFit — April 30, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

I have some basil in my fridge that NEEDS to get used up soon! Great idea Dani!!!

LyndsayJenness — April 30, 2009 @ 7:29 pm

Definitely making this tomorrow with the dill I have in the fridge, it’ll be awesome on scrambled eggs! I’m excited for breakfast now!

valeria — May 1, 2009 @ 12:13 am

before being vegetarian I used to have this kind of oils over steamed fish.
    now I like it a lot on polenta, fresh made or much better on grilled ( leftover). my mom makes stuffed fresh tomatoes with this basil oil, with some garlic and parsley too, broil them a few minutes and they are great! how are you doing?

Marie — May 1, 2009 @ 5:30 am

Dani – how does this store? Can you keep it for a bit?

Mathieu — May 1, 2009 @ 1:42 pm

Hi Dani!
    Thank you very, very, very much for your wonderful recipes:) I just found out that my body is sensitive to pretty much a whole lot of foods, including some veggies, breads, and meats… so, I’ve been feeling at the end of my rope trying to find something original to eat everyday, getting bored of the only things good for me in the boring way I prepare them. Your recipes give me exciting ideas and hopes that the next meal won’t be the same and uneventful (just eating for surviving). Thank you:D

A variation I might try for this recipe would be using cilantro and lime juice (very good idea of yours!) and finely chopping half or 3/4 or up to a whole jalapino pepper (depending on taste) and mixing it in for a bit of texture or blending it all together with the entire sauce for a smooth spicy taste. Mmm… and maybe even sprinkling a bit of ginger powder or blending in a chopped slice of it.
    A bientot!

Jona — May 2, 2009 @ 4:57 pm

Thanks for the reminder of uses for such an oil or pesto. I tend to forget some of the ways I can use it. I like your alteration to the basic pesto. And fewer calories with out all the cheese or pine nuts but still big on flavor.

Dani — May 3, 2009 @ 8:14 pm

Foods That Fit – Anytime;)

Lyndsay – Love the idea of the dill with the eggs…. so fresh!

Valeria – Thanks for all the great suggestions for how to use the oil… they all sound amazing. As for me, I’m great thanks… just five more weeks to go!

Marie – I left mine right on the counter for about a week and it was fine. I kept it covered with a little saran wrap. If you plan to have it longer than that, I would just pop it in the fridge.

Mathieu – So glad to hear that you are enjoying the recipes. I’m like you when it comes to food in that I like flavor an variety (and healthy!). Thanks for your ideas… I’ll have to give it a try.

Jona – Your welcome

Erika B — June 21, 2009 @ 3:51 pm

An awesome recipe! Tossed mine with a little pasta and sprinkled with a little italian blend cheese… mmm! I can see the cilantro and lime with a little serano going on my next chicken breast! Thanks for inspiring me to get back to the kitchen!