How-To Make Kale Chips (Video)

Kale Chips.  Where to begin?

Salty, crunchy, crispy and nutritious… you are a pregnant (and non-preggo) womans’ dream!  Unbelievably, amazingly, delicious!

I mean after all, you are a dark leafy green vegetable! And you know how it is with dark, leafy green veggies, we know we should eat you and so we do, but rarely do we expect you to taste as good as you do.  You’re quite deceiving with your green, leafy looks.

And then to top it all off, who in the world would think you could stand in as a chip substitute? It just seems so “out of your league”. But I’ve gotta give it it to you, not only do you pull it off BUT you excel!  As a matter of fact, you do the “chip thing” so well, that people will really have to try you themselves to believe it  You’re crunch is amazing!

Thanks kale chips!  Thanks for being you and thanks for being so good for ME.  You’re the kinds of food that makes eating clean a breeze!

How-To Make Kale Chips

Yield: Serves 2

• 1 bunch of kale, washed and dried really well
  • 2 tsp of olive oil
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt

Pre-heat oven to 350

Remove the stem for each kale leaf and rip or cut the leaves into bite size pieces.  There’s no need to be precise or exact, you can make them however big or small as you like.

Place kale in a large bowl and toss with olive oil and salt.  Take a minute to massage the kale, make sure each piece is lightly coated (trust me, this little step is SO worth it).

Spread kale out amongst two rimmed baking sheets being sure not to overlap any of the  pieces.  It is important that your kale is in a single layer because if the leaves are piled on top of each other they will steam rather than bake which means they won’t get crunchy.

Pop in the oven for about fifteen minutes or until your leaves are crispy, crunchy!  Serve in a bowl and enjoy!!

Nutrient per 1/2 of recipe; Calories: 81 Total Fat: 5.1g; Saturated Fat: 0.7g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 600mg; Carbohydrate: 8.4g; Dietary Fiber: 1.7g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 2.8g

28 Responses to “How-To Make Kale Chips (Video)”

Ricki — April 13, 2009 @ 4:32 am

LOVE kale chips! :)

Cyndi — April 13, 2009 @ 4:41 am

This recipe sounds fantastic! It appeals to me on so many levels – the crunch factor, the gorgeous appearance and the dark green color (and nutrients) – can’t wait to try it. Thank you and I hope you are feeling fabulous these days!

Gretchen — April 13, 2009 @ 6:58 am

Be careful at the end that they don’t burn! It is really sad. So yummy though. Thanks for reminding me about this simple treat.

Dani — April 13, 2009 @ 7:14 am

Ricki – Me too!

Cyndi – They really are so good! I’m feeling great, thanks… eight more weeks to go:).

Gretchen – Good point… you definitely have to keep an eye on them.

Tammy — April 13, 2009 @ 9:45 am

Sounds good! But where is the video? I would love to see it. And congrats on the baby! :)

D — April 13, 2009 @ 9:53 am

Technical problems: is the video just not working for me or it’s not set up properly?

Dani — April 13, 2009 @ 9:59 am

Tammy and D – Yikes!! thanks for the heads up! The video should be available now. Sorry about that.

D — April 13, 2009 @ 11:10 am

Dani: Can you store kale chips in an airtight container for a few days? I would love to try the kakechips.

I have made roasted kale as a vegetable dish and love it. It is basically the same method except you don’t have to spread it on the sheet pan in one layer. I love kale. I can just eat roasted or sauteed kale over a bowl of rice and be totally satisfied as a meal.

Dani — April 13, 2009 @ 11:16 am

D – Good question and YES! You can store them in an air tight container or Ziploc bag and they will stay nice and crunchy. They never make it past a couple of days around here so I don’t know exactly how long they will last for. I know they last at least two or three days.

Jona — April 13, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

Can’t wait to try these. The video really helped to show how crunchy and good they can be. I don’t think I would have been as interested in trying them from just reading the recipe. Thank you.

D — April 13, 2009 @ 8:54 pm

Dani: Have you ever tried the kale chips using the Lacinto Kale?

Dani — April 14, 2009 @ 8:10 pm

Jona – Glad to hear it. Hope you like them!!

D – Yes I have. The kale in the picture is actually Lactino Kale and it works out great.

Debbie Bethell — April 15, 2009 @ 11:18 am

I was actually cruisin some sites looking for info on Kale chips and there you were.. I check your site daily and was glad to find we were on the same page.. I have tried these before and 1 batch was great and the next batch I made was so bitter tasting we couldn’t eat them.. I am thinking now I cooked them to long??
    I am trying them again as they were so yummy..

Dani — April 16, 2009 @ 10:28 am

Debbie – Bitter brings two things to mind… either, 1. maybe you didn’t massage each leaf with the oil and salt OR 2. (and I think it is more likely this) you had a really mature bunch of kale. Sometimes an “older” bunch of kale will tend to be a little bit bitter (sadly, there’s not much you can do about that).
    I really doubt that it had to do with cooking time. Cooking them to long would burn them before making them bitter (but that’s just my guess!).

Kay — April 17, 2009 @ 9:44 am

Yum! And my hands are so soft too!

Kalyn — May 7, 2009 @ 2:37 pm

Been meaning to try making these for the longest time! Bookmarked!

Jennifer — May 8, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

How could you package the kale if you wanted to store the kale chips for longer periods of time? Is it possible to mimic how potato chips are packaged in bags – yet without using hydrogenated oils?

Thank you!

Sfr — May 11, 2009 @ 6:15 pm

Great idea! One question though: does oven time eliminate the healthy benefits of kale?

Karen — June 26, 2009 @ 3:39 pm

I just stumbled upon your site while looking for some recipes. I just made the Kale chips….YUMMM!! I look forward to trying more of your recipes!!

Jason — August 19, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

If I can get my boys to eat these as a replacement for potato chips, just once in a while, I will faint. Experiment time is here again!

Rachel — November 29, 2009 @ 6:43 pm

Thank you for this recipe. These things are WONDERFUL. I can not wait to try the popcorn.

Melissa — December 11, 2009 @ 5:14 pm

I just tried these and LOVE them!!!! But the main thing is My kids (2,5,8) love them. They devoured them! Thanks for this idea

asa — March 13, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

Hi
    Wondered….can I make the chips in a regular oven instead?

Nihi — March 29, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Hi Dani,

I have been browsing your site for the past 10 days. Your 101 videos are really informative. I never ate kale and quinoa in my life. I tried them after seeing your videos and I really liked them. I made kale chips the other day, I and my husband couldn’t stop eating them. I’m trying to eat healthy and your site really helps me a lot. Thanks a lot.

Suzana — April 23, 2010 @ 7:24 am

These are a great snack…. thanks sooo much

Jo-Anne — May 9, 2011 @ 6:34 am

These are really tasty! I made them this morning for my kids to have after school. i am curious if this cooking method retains many of kale’s awesome nutrients?

Stacey — May 21, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Could you make these with other similar greens, such as chard, spinach and sorrel?

karen — November 29, 2012 @ 5:34 pm

we go paintballing every weekend and ive been looking for healthy snacks to take with us! thank you so much love this site!! so helpful!