Butternut Squash 101 (Video)

Of all the varieties of winter squash that exist, butternut squash is by far one of the easiest to work with. It has a slightly sweet, nutty flavor and a creamy consistency that works well in sweet and savory dishes.

Maybe it’s just me, but I am often blown away by the natural beauty that exists within fruits and veggies.  The shapes, the colors, the textures… it’s like you couldn’t make something more beautiful if you tried.

Much like a sweet potato, everytime I peel into a butternut sqaush, the rich golden-orange flesh never fails to amaze me.  Not to mention the flavor that follows, if you haven’t tried butternut squash yet, please use this video as a guide to get you started.  Although you do have to put a little effort forth to get this baby prepped, trust me when I tell you that it is well worth the ten minutes it takes.

Butternut Squash loves to be paired with some of the following flavors: rosemary, sage, thyme, cranberries, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar, onions, cilantro, curry, walnuts, and oranges (just to name a few).

I’ll be posting a few recipes using Butternut Squash in the upcoming weeks; but in the meantime, I would love to hear some of your favorite ways to use this delicious veggie!

FYI – 1 cup of raw squash (edible portion only): Calories: 63; Total Fat: .1g; Saturated Fat: 0.g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 6mg; Carbohydrate: 16.4g; Dietary Fiber: 2.8g; Sugars: 3.1g; Protein: 1.4g

10 Responses to “Butternut Squash 101 (Video)”

ashley (sweet & natural) — January 6, 2009 @ 5:05 am

Oh wow – this is perfect timing. I literally just said I’d be adding butternut squash to my grocery list b/c I’ve never prepared it for myself before. Crazy, I know!

suzanne — January 6, 2009 @ 7:15 am

Thank you i’ve always wanted to try it but never new how!!

Phoo-D — January 6, 2009 @ 7:33 am

I adore butternut squash. It is a winter produce gem. My favorite way to cook it is a creamy yet healthy soup using parmesan rinds. I’ve posted the recipe here:

Jaya — January 6, 2009 @ 7:40 am

Dani,
    We make a wonderful butternut squash dish with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and whole dried chilies toasted in oil, then cooked with the squash. I also love to make it “twice baked”. Roast it, then scoop out the flesh and combine with sundried tomato pesto or any herbs and some romano or parm. I can’t wait to try some of your recipes, too. You’re glowing! Hope you’re feeling healthy and gorgeous; you certainly look it!

alishajoy — January 6, 2009 @ 8:37 am

Just fyi, your link for Pasta w/ Butternut Squash, Sage and Pine Nuts from Apartment Therapy is wrong. It brings you to squash wish ginger which sounds good too . . . . but isn’t the one I was hoping to see. =) My husband loves squash, all kinds of squash and I’ve never really mastered preparing it. I’m going to try a few of these out.

Dani — January 6, 2009 @ 8:46 am

Ashley – I’ll be looking forward to some butternut squash muffins or something from you;)!!

Suzanne – Anytime!

Phoo-D – The soup sounds great. I’ll have to give it a try.

Jaya – Your recipes sound great. I love the idea of butternut squash and hot chilis! And just for the record, I am feeling really good (thanks for asking:)).

Alishajoy – Thanks for the heads up, I fixed the link!!

Hayley — January 6, 2009 @ 10:54 am

Cool video, and thanks for all the recipe suggestions!

Donna — January 6, 2009 @ 12:20 pm

we love butternut squash. I make it a lot. One way is to cut the ends off then in half and place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper with the cut side down. Cook for 45 minutes at 400. When done just scoop out the flesh and mash like potato.

healthy ashley — January 8, 2009 @ 6:35 pm

It’s so great to see another video.. you are adorable! I love butternut (and acorn) squash!

Judy Divoky — February 13, 2009 @ 4:09 am

(Not necessary to post, just want you to know…)

I’m 67 years old and never tasted butternut squash until watching your video. My goodness, it’s wonderful. Found a small organic one for less than the others. But, for our family reunion, I bought a huge one which cost over $5.00. It is so worth it. EVERYBODY commented on the squash. I put in fresh grated nutmeg and fresh grated ginger and the other ingredients. Thank you, thank you. Hope you’re feeling OK. I love your style and presentations. The Food Network needs a personality like you.