Video: Spaghetti Squash “101″

There are several different ways to prepare Spaghetti Squash; but to be completely honest, the absolute easiest and fastest way is to use the microwave.

I’ve read a lot of different information about microwave cooking and like almost all scienctific information provided about nutriition, I found a bunch of different and often contradictory theories.  Some people say it’s the worst thing that you can do to your food, while others suggest you can do more damage boiling or cooking at high temperatures.  Suprise, suprise and ay yay yay!

Honestly, I don’t use the microwave a whole lot, but as you know, I am all about “picking and choosing” my battles in the kitchen (and in life).  Spaghetti Squash is one of those ingredients that not only takes a 1/4 of the time in the microwave as it would in the oven, but it doesn’t seem to alter the taste at all and whether you choose to microwave your squash or bake it in the oven, essentially you are steaming it, so the flavor is consistent either way.

My bottom line point of view when it comes to microwaving: Like everything, moderation is key.  Go to it in a pinch and as a friend.  If using the shortcuts of a microwave is going to help you get nutritious foods on the table, then I say do what you got to do!

However, if you are anti-microwave, no worries, here’s all you have to do:  Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scrap out the seeds, place it flesh side down in a large baking dish filled with water and cook it at about 375 for 45 minutes to an hour.  Other than the time, you’ll get the same results.

Have any of you guys tried Spaghetti Squash before??  If so, what are you’re favorite ways of preparing it?  I’ll be posting some recipes using Spaghetti Squash through October and would love to hear some of your ideas!

One-cup of cooked Spaghetti Squash:
Calories: 42; Total Fat: 0.4g; Saturated Fat: 0.1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 28mg; Carbohydrate: 10g; Dietary Fiber: 2.2g; Sugars: 3.9g; Protein: 1g

16 Responses to “Video: Spaghetti Squash “101″”

kacee — September 29, 2008 @ 11:14 am

WOOHOO! Spaghetti squash! Love it!
    It is definitely one of those lighter meals that fill you up.
    I like to make mine with a little marinara sauce and garlic powder or even with a nice veggie marinara!

Rogbog4299 — September 29, 2008 @ 6:45 pm

There are several different ways to prepare Spaghetti Squash. I know of only one good one. Simply cut it up and fry it up.

Kari — September 30, 2008 @ 6:40 am

I LOVE spaghetti squash. The minute I saw them in the grocery store I cooked one and blogged about it.

megan — September 30, 2008 @ 7:00 am

I’ve only tried it once, but I’m ready to try it again. Thanks!

Christopher — October 6, 2008 @ 8:18 pm

I recall the first time my mother brought home this goard called a Spaghetti Squash and proclaimed that we were going to love it.

She served it with a marinara sauce, and it was delicious. Since then, we’ve served it to our family with salt & butter, with brown sugar, and of course with marinara.

Thanks for sharing the basics – hopefully it will encourage people to give it a try!

MizFit — October 12, 2008 @ 3:16 am

I love the S.S.

(Im yeast sensitive so I use it all the time!)

I laugh how other people have NO CLUE when I serve it…till after they’re done and I tell em it was squash :)

ElizaDomestica — October 15, 2008 @ 3:26 pm

I love spaghetti squash with butter and fresh garlic…..soo good!

Joy — November 12, 2008 @ 3:20 pm

hey dani, love the site, can’t wait to share it with all my friends! Congrats mom to be!

Lori — November 13, 2008 @ 5:04 pm

Great Stuff! Im really going to enjoy trying a few of these… Thank you!

gramma — February 11, 2009 @ 6:10 pm

It is also good with spaghetti sauces on it.

Gavin — December 1, 2009 @ 3:17 am

Nice video Dani, nice site too. Tried spaghetti squash for the first time in 15 years. It was delish!

M — April 11, 2011 @ 8:55 am

Hi I may be crazy but I could not find the recipe for how to cook the spagetti squash in the microwave? Please help
    thank you,,,,,,love your site!
    M

12.1
      Dani — April 11, 2011 @ 9:25 am

I demonstrate how to this in the video:). You just want to cook it in the microwave for about 12 minutes rotating it half way through. Then cut in half, seed, and scrape out the squash. Check out the video for the visual!

Jeanne — April 9, 2012 @ 11:46 am

I just tried this for lunch today and it was SO easy, so fast, and so delicious! I had a smaller spaghetti squash, so I nuked it for 6 minutes per your instructions. Yum! Thanks for the video tutorials as always, they’re so easy to follow and instructive.

Mia — January 18, 2013 @ 8:38 am

hi from germany,

I am pretty new on your site and watching your suggestions – very nice and thanks for that.
    But one thing is pretty irritating to me: want to cook pretty clean and healthy and using the mircrowave?
    I could send you a lot of articles who unhealthy this is – it destroys the information of everything in the food … dont wanna write further – anybody can read and get information by themselfes…
    I dont use mikrowave at all…
    much greetings
    mia

Venia101 — January 29, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

I ran out and bought a spaghetti squash after watching your video and as much as I loved the smell and the way it just shreds out…I just couldn’t cope with the texture. :-( So sad.