The PB&B Sandwich – The Ultimate Snack Food
Unlike the self-proclaimed life of Denise Richards, eating well does NOT need to be complicated. Sure we can complicate it if we want to and more often than not we do, but the truth is that it doesn’t have to be that way.
A few simple ways of over simplifying healthy eating:
1. Base your diet on veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean proteins and healthy fats.
2. Stick to whole, real, unprocessed foods most of the time.
3. Eat foods that are closest to their natural state.
If we all could slow down, stop counting calories, listen to our bodies, and apply these simple tips, we’d be headed well in the right direction. (Why do we like to make things so complicated, anyhow?!)
It seems that fast foods on the go is something everyone is looking for these days. What are good snack choices when we’re on the run or stuck at the office? This is probably the number one question that I get from my clients these days. So I share with you one of my favorite options… A good old-fashioned whole grain piece of bread with some natural peanut butter (or any nut butter) and banana. I mean really, it doesn’t get much “less-complicated” then that.
Top 10 reasons why the Peanut Butter Banana Sandwich is the perfect on the go snack:
1. It takes all of sixty seconds to make
2. It works for breakfast, lunch or snack time
3. It travels well (it can be left in the car a few hours and still be d’lishes)
4. It’s a great partner for an afternoon skim latte
5. You can easily leave a loaf of whole grain bread and a jar of natural peanut butter at the office so you’re never caught face to face on an empty stomach staring down the vending machines
6. It’s a great balance of carbs, protein and fat that gives you lots of energy
7. It’s an all natural, real food snack or mini-meal
8. It will hold you over longer than any of the kicked-up candy bars we like to call “energy” bars
9. It’s supplies a great dose of fiber (5.5 g… and you know how I feel about fiber)
10. It’s G-damn d’lishes!
See… so easy, so d’lishes, so nutritious and so NOT complicated. A fast snack food that we can all feel good about eating!
The only things to keep in mind when building your sandwich are that:
A. You are using a good, whole grain bread (Ezekiel is my hands down favorite bread, but by all means use what you love).
B. You use an all-natural nut butter. So, if you are using peanut butter the ingredients should only list peanuts and maybe salt… but that’s it. So no Jiffy or Skippy peanut butter allowed.
Since simple snack ideas seem to be a much-desired topic these days, I’ll be posting some more from now on but in the mean time… what are some of your favorite go-to-quick-whole-food snacks? Any new ideas out there??
Yield: Serves 1
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- 1 tbsp of nut butter
- ½ banana, sliced up
Seriously... do I really have to tell you what to do here?!
Calories: 235; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 1.6g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 80mg; Carbohydrate: 31g; Dietary Fiber: 5.5g; Sugars: 7.6g; Protein: 8.5g