Video: How-To Make Balsamic Glaze

Balsamic Glaze is just a fancy way of saying reduced down Balsamic vinegar.  It’s a super simple way to add lots of flavor to a dish with out adding lots of extra calories or fat.

I make this every couple of weeks and then just leave it in the fridge to use as a dip for raw veggies or drizzled on salad. It’s also a great way to add a little zing to some simply grilled fish or chicken. And every now and then if I’m having a little sweet tooth, I’ll mix some balsamic glaze with some berries and spoon it over vanilla ice cream:).

I know that often times people will little bit of sugar to balsamic glaze to sweeten it up a bit more, but I find it sweet enough with out the addition of extra sugar. I really like the tangy-sweet-and-sour flavor that it has just the way it is!

Balsamic Glaze

Yield: Makes 1/2 cup

• 2 cups of Balsamic vinegar

Pour vinegar into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Once you've got a boil, reduce the heat and allow the vinegar to simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until the vingar has become thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (you should have about 1/2 cup of glaze when it's done).

Remove from heat and allow to cool.  then just pour it into a container with a lid and pop it in the fridge.  It should last you a few weeks.

One tbsp. of Balsamic Glaze:
Calories: 35; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 5mg; Carbohydrate: 9g; Dietary Fiber: 0; Sugars: 7g; Protein: 0g

19 Responses to “Video: How-To Make Balsamic Glaze”

Katy Chen — August 15, 2008 @ 5:21 pm

I’m making this right now, and it smells sooo good! Putting it over salmon later… Thanks, Dani!

Dani — August 15, 2008 @ 9:59 pm

Katy – Ohhhh… over salmon?!! That sounds SO good!! I’ll have to try it:).

Susanna — August 18, 2008 @ 9:43 am

What a fabulous idea! It would work with soooo many things. Drizzled over fresh sliced homegrown tomatoes with mozzarella and a splash of extra-virgin olive oil…

Dinner has just been planned for tonight.

Really enjoy your site!

Dani — August 18, 2008 @ 10:23 am

Susanna – Yum! Drizzled over tomatoes and mozzarella would definitely be delicious!! Glad you are enjoying the site:)

Priscilla — July 11, 2009 @ 9:15 pm

This is making my mouth water just thinking about it! Uh! Can’t wait to try this!!

cheryl — January 7, 2010 @ 9:52 am

Just found this great idea …love it ….drizzled over fresh greens,walnuts,manderan oranges, little bit a feta. Delicious!!!
    Lots of flavor/little calories

tammcpark — June 16, 2010 @ 4:38 am

I created rustic pizzas with this sauce. Sliced whole wheat pitas, thin sliced plum tomatoes, chopped basil, balsamic glaze and shredded mozarella cheese. 3 words DE-LIC-IOUS! Thank you so much.

Jeannie — July 7, 2010 @ 9:18 am

My son Loves this glaze on in a whole wheat wrap with turkey, avacado and arugula or on a grilled cheese sandwich. So Yummy. Thank you!

Bill Grromer — July 8, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

Really good. Try sauté some onion in a little butter, then add balsamic glaze and a little honey. Use as a steak sauce, it’s soooo good.

Lexi — August 11, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

I am making this tomorrow for a family bbq I am going to put it over grilled pineapple and grilled peaches! I am debating adding the brown sugar or not

Dani — August 11, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

Lexi – It’s never too late to add the sugar.. so just taste as you go and add as your taste buds like:)

Yvonne Moss — September 23, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

Thanks. I knew that it had to be easy to do! Heading to the kitchen right now to make it.

Melanie — July 13, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

After making the glaz, how should I store it? If I’m not using it right away.

Bill Cook — September 21, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

I made it but it did take much long to get it as thick as I wanted. I added sugar and sorry I did, I had tasted it without the sugar and it was very good but I wanted it a little sweeter, I overdid the suger but it is still good and usable on certain things, like ice cream, yummy.
    Thanks for the recipe, I had been buying it at Trader Joe’s and then they stopped stocking it and now I have it. Been looking for it on the shelves of other stores for years. A lot more thrifty to make it yourself.

Kim Rush — March 29, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

Making right now. Going to drizzle over garlic grilled chicken breast with pasta. Also made homemade brusetta tomatoes to throw in topped with fresh parmesan cheese…YUMMY! Thank you!

Reem Alabdulhadi — November 14, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Hey I have a question, how do you get it to be more like a syrup?
    I want it to be a little thicker than the video do you know how to?
    Thanks :)

16.1
      Dani — November 15, 2012 @ 9:13 am

You could add a little sugar… that would definitely help.

Sandi — January 10, 2014 @ 6:09 pm

I’m making the glaze right now (never have before), for tomorrow’s pan seared chicken and strawberries…(cant wait to try it) but I bet that same recipe would be awesome on salmon as well. Dani, what do you think? Should I change anything about it for the salmon, like the cheese or anything?

Thx, Sandi

17.1
      Dani — January 13, 2014 @ 12:09 pm

I bet the glaze would be great with salmon… Would love to hear if you give it a try!