Video: Asparagus “101″

With so many spring veggies to choose from this month, I decided to stick with the basics…Asparagus!

I picked this veggie for kind of selfish reasons.  I figure since I’m the one who has to eat the “food focus” veggie in excess all month long (and that’s not a complaint) I may as well pick a personal favorite:).  Not to mention, asparagus has been all over the famers markets lately, so I just couldn’t resist!

So as always, let’s see what kind of clean, simple, and delicious asparagus recipes we can come up with this month. Yeah, that’s right…I said WE!! C’mon guys, what’s better than synergy? I always look forward to hearing your tips, tricks and recipes:)!!

12 Responses to “Video: Asparagus “101″”

Susie — April 2, 2008 @ 12:48 am

Dani,
    Loved this video. I have never tried asparagus before but I may now after seeing you talk about it.
    Great job and how neat that you left the tasting part of the video in tact. :o)
    Great job, and I’ll be back,
    Susie in northern NY

Dani — April 2, 2008 @ 6:42 am

Susie – Thanks for stopping by! You really have to try it…it’s so good! I’m gonna post some very simple asparagus recipes over the next month so if you’re not sure how you wanna cook it, stay tuned:)!

Kaman — April 2, 2008 @ 1:37 pm

Hi Dani,
    I’m definitely a LOVER of asparagus. :) I actually had some last night, BUT I accidentally sprinkled CINNAMON on there instead of black pepper! It actually wasn’t bad at all, but my favorite way to eat asparagus is roast it in the oven and after it comes out of the oven, drizzle some balsamic vinegar mixed with melted butter.

Dani — April 2, 2008 @ 7:25 pm

Kaman – Cinnamon on asparagus?? that’s an interesting combo! I hear ya’ with the roasting…I love it that way too!

Krista — April 3, 2008 @ 11:02 pm

I fell in love with asparagus last year but until today had only ever made it steamed as a side dish with lemon juice and pepper.
    I just made the spring wild rice salad from 101cookbooks.com with wild rice, yellow split peas, asparagus, and an almond butter dressing. It was delicious!! My friend told me she puts it on the bbq with olive oil and sea salt and it gets crucnhy on the outside and soft on the inside – would love to get some more details on prepping it on the grill. Can’t wait to learn about its versatility!

Dani — April 4, 2008 @ 5:56 am

Krista – I plan on grilling some this weekend…I’ll try to post that this weekend:).

elsie — April 4, 2008 @ 6:14 pm

I love asparagus. I use in so many different ways but top of my mind is I make a soupy mix of broth, rice, shrimp with asparagus with is real comfort food. I also love sauteed in garlic and olive oil, with asparagus ,black olives, capers, tomatoes, shrimps mixed with your favorite pasta. great summer food!

Kevin — April 5, 2008 @ 12:46 pm

Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables! I am looking forward to fresh local asparagus. Great video.

Dani — April 5, 2008 @ 4:28 pm

Elise – That pasta dish sounds SO good..I am trying that one tonite:)!!
    Kevin – Thanks. What’s better than fresh local asparagus?

Amy Esacove — May 5, 2008 @ 12:22 pm

Hey Dani!

I love your videos! They are so clear and concise. I have been making a nice little egg scramble using onion, cherry tomatoes, asparagus and feta. Yum! i look forward to more of your great videos.

See you in Yoga!-Amy

Dani — May 5, 2008 @ 4:20 pm

Hi Amy!!!! I’m so glad you are enjoying the videos:). Your egg scramble sounds SO good… I’m gonna have to give that a try. I love feta and asparagus together.

Anna — February 28, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

Hi Dani!

I’m from Austria and the way we eat green asparagus is as a side dish for steak – it goes together so well!
    But my favourite asparagus is the white one. We usually eat it with Sauce Hollandaise or melted butter.
    I also LOVE asparagus in a risotto, but then I don’t use chicken stock for the risotto but vegetable stock instead.

Best wishes,